IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Euterpe oleracea growing in Puerto Rico

Cindy Adair

I saw these beauties while on a wonderful tour of Panoramic Fruit farm in Puerto Rico last week. Apparently it is not easy to process the fruit!

I have Euterpe edulis only, but Ian Crown very kindly gave me permission to take some seeds so I can grow these too.

They pronounce the fruit Assai as "ah-sah-ee".

Assai Euterpe oleracea DSCN9179.jpg

Assai Euterpe oleracea DSCN9175.jpg

Assai Euterpe oleracea DSCN9172.jpg

Assai Euterpe oleracea DSCN9171.jpg

Assai Euterpe oleracea DSCN9167.jpg

• Upvote 6

Cindy Adair

When I think of how I torture my poor specimen . . .

(Sob! Snort! Sniffle!)

Those are magnificent.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

6 hours ago, User00 said:

is this commercial plantation for berries 

They sell mainly rambutans, mangosteens to the states and some other fruits in PR.

I think selling  Assai was the plan, but due to processing challenges I am not sure if they are marketable here. 

I would love to hear how they are processed commercially elsewhere.

Cindy Adair

I think it is a few degrees hotter than I am, but not much. The altitude is a little higher, but not nearly as much shade.

Yes, the mountains are pretty and the trees have plenty of sun, but with the surroundings cleared they also get wind damage. 

My jungle isn't nearly as wind exposed but has only a few full sun areas.

Always trade offs, but since I love the shade loving plants too I appreciate my canopy! 

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

When I think of how I torture my poor specimen . . .

(Sob! Snort! Sniffle!)

Those are magnificent.

You too heh? Mine was just barely hanging on for 2 years, trying to push half-baked leaves out but never seemed to get traction. It looks like after our long cool winter it may finally be giving up for good. My biggest mistake was to bring it inside the house when it got below 40F for a few days, the remaining leaves just dried up in a few hours. It seems to be extremely sensitive to any periods of low humidity. I should have just left it outside under a shade.

Edited by Pando

49 minutes ago, Pando said:

You too heh? Mine was just barely hanging on for 2 years, trying to push half-baked leaves out but never seemed to get traction. It looks like after our long cool winter it may finally be giving up for good. My biggest mistake was to bring it inside the house when it got below 40F for a few days, the remaining leaves just dried up in a few hours. It seems to be extremely sensitive to any periods of low humidity. I should have just left it outside under a shade.

Wha ha ha ha!

(Snort!)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I put a three year old 'Para Dwarf' in the ground last year and it has grown like stink ever since. Mind you, I've heard rumours that fruiting becomes somewhat unreliable outside of the 8 degree latitude region, although at almost 11 degrees north, I hope to prove the naysayers wrong :)

Nick C - Living it up in tropical 'Nam....

PHZ - 13

10°.57'N - 106°.50'E

On 29 January 2016 at 22:26:44, Cindy Adair said:

They sell mainly rambutans, mangosteens to the states and some other fruits in PR.

I think selling  Assai was the plan, but due to processing challenges I am not sure if they are marketable here. 

I would love to hear how they are processed commercially elsewhere.

Thanks for those nice pictures, Cindy!

If you are intrested in how the fruits are processed you can watch this video. 

It's on German but you can see that fruits get puréed. 

The video was made in the Brasilian jungle. 

Did you already try them? If so, how do they taste?

42 minutes ago, Ben1 said:

Thanks for those nice pictures, Cindy!

If you are intrested in how the fruits are processed you can watch this video. 

It's on German but you can see that fruits get puréed. 

The video was made in the Brasilian jungle. 

Did you already try them? If so, how do they taste?

Can you re-post the video? It doesn't show up. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Thank you so much for the video! I will look at it when I next have free wi fi for sure! Just expensive data on the farm.

Cindy Adair

I could follow the link but my Mac stubbornly refused to play the video! No teenagers around to help me... Thanks so much for making the effort and I'll try again when I'm around someone who can help!

Cindy Adair

21 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

I could follow the link but my Mac stubbornly refused to play the video! No teenagers around to help me... Thanks so much for making the effort and I'll try again when I'm around someone who can help!

No problem. Good luck!

On 1. Februar 2016 um 21:38:42, Cindy Adair said:

Maybe this link works on your Mac, Cindy. It's the same video but from a different provider. 

https://vimeo.com/69168072

In the video the say that the Acai-beeries belong to the staple foods in this area of Brasil. It also helped the farmers there to raise their wealth a little. The fruits were "discovered" by American surfers who enjoyed it after some surf-trips at the Brasilian coast. They brought it to the US and this was the start of the success story of the Acai-berries. From the US the trend came also to Europe. Here you can find it in cosmetics, energy drinks and also products (pills) to support with special diets in order to loose weight. 

• 4 years later...

Hi Cindy,

I live in Dorado, PR and I am looking for the Euterpe Oleracea (Acai Palm).  Can you let me know when I can buy them?  Thank you so much!

Jason