Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Historical RPGs

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Men,

I'm looking for some RPGs that have actual history or are influenced by them. Any period is fine. I'm just sick of the same fantasy shit over and over again. I've play Darklands, and please don't say Jade Empire.

Last edited:
Have you tried the Witcher series? It's fantasy, but it's kind of like adult fantasy, i.e. no wizards casting fireballs every 2 steps, but rather a fairly grounded medieval type society similar to medieval Europe, with some fantasy elements.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Have you tried the Witcher series? It's fantasy, but it's kind of like adult fantasy, i.e. no wizards casting fireballs every 2 steps, but rather a fairly grounded medieval type society similar to medieval Europe, with some fantasy elements.
I've played all the Witcher games. They may be more adult, but they're not historical.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
To sum it up

Historical rpgs:
- Alexander: the Heroes Hour (ancient Greece and Persia during the reign of Alexanderthe Great)
- Teudogar and the alliance with Rome (ancient Germania during Roman attempt of conquest)
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance (medieval Bohemia)
- Sea Dogs (XVI century, era of Carribean piracy)
- Vendetta: Curse of the Raven's Cry (XVII century, era of Carribean piracy)
- Kim (XIX century colonial India)
- Hammer & Sickle (early cold war Germany)

Historical rpgs with mystical/mythical elements:
- Five Guardians of David (hack&slash in Biblical Israel)
- Prince of Qin (ancient China + magic)
- Seal of Evil (prequel to Prince of Qin)
- Unrest (ancient India + magic)
- Theseus: journey to Athens (ancient mythological Greece)
- Rise of the Argonauts (mythical Greece, no actual connection to actual place, for example Delphi is an island)
- Nethergate and Nethergate Ressurection (Jeff Vogel's vision of ancient Britain during the Roman conquest, with magic)
- Expeditions: Viking (medieval Denmark and England)
- Darklands (medieval Germany with witches and demons)
- Bastard of Kosignan (5 module campaign for Neverwinter Nights, medieval Burgundy, Germany and France with some degree of magic)
- Expeditions: Conquisador (XVI century America)
- Age of Pirates: the Carribean Tales, Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships (XVI century, era of Carribean piracy, with fantasy elements like the udead)
- Dark Secrets of Africa (XIX century in colonial Africa, search for the mysteries of the pyramids and more)
- Another War 1&2 (2nd World War + occult activities of the nazis+weird humor)
- Grom: Terror in Tibet (2nd World War, nazis searching for ancient artifacts of power in Asia)

Pseudohistorical rpgs with weird shit (aliens, worldwide conspiracy theories, space artifacts):
- Assassin's Creed: Origins (ancient Egypt)
- Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (ancient Greece)
- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla (medieval Scandinavia and England)

More titles incoming when I (someone else) refresh my memory. But they are not very numerous.

Since there are some jrpgs contributions, I am considering adding the 4th category: Pseudohistorical jrpgs or simply putting them in the 3rd category.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
To sum it up

Historical rpgs:
- Teudogar and the alliance with Rome (ancient Germania during Roman attempt of conquest)
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance (medieval Bohemia)
- Expeditions: Conquisador (XVI century America)
- Expeditions: Viking (medieval Denmark and England)

Historical rpgs with mystical/mythical elements:
- Five Guardians of David (hack&slash in Biblical Israel)
- Prince of Qin (ancient China + magic)
- Seal of Evil (prequel to Prince of Qin)
- Theseus: journey to Athens (ancient mythological Greece)
- Rise of the Argonauts (mythical Greece, no actual connection to actual place, for example Delphi is an island)
- Nethergate and Nethergate Ressurection (Jeff Vogel's vision of ancient Britain during the Roman conquest, with magic)
- Darklands (medieval Germany with witches and demons)
- Bastard of Kosignan (5 module campaign for Neverwinter Nights, medieval Burgundy, Germany and France with some degree of magic)
- Another War 1&2 (2nd World War + occult activities of the nazis+weird humor)
- Dark Secrets of Africa (XIX century in colonial Africa, search for the mysteries of the pyramids and more)

Pseudohistorical rpgs with weird shit (aliens, worldwide conspiracy theories, space artifacts):
- Assassin's Creed: Origins (ancient Egypt)
- Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (ancient Greece)

More titles incoming when I (someone else) refresh my memory. But they are not very numerous.
Expeditions: Viking falls into the second category iirc

Falksi

Arcane
A great game which is rooted in history, includes such tie-ins as WW1 & the Russian Tsars, and also has a superb blend of fantasy & reality to boot is Shadow Hearts:Covenant.

One of the main reasons I loved it is because it managed to feel so attached to the real world, whilst also having tons of batshit mental fantasy stuff in too. You get to travel round Europe, and then further East too. There's nothing in the way of actual open-world type exploration, but it really gives the game a great flavour moving around all these areas.

143825-shadow-hearts-covenant-playstation-2-screenshot-world-map.jpg

1-29yjqm9.jpg

1-2mmuy48.jpg

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I. B. Ballin
Any Game of Thrones game as game of thrones is based on the hundred years war, not sure if any of them is worth playing though.

Otherwise, already listed but what you're searching for is probably the expedition series and Eisenwald.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom